Simple present tense structure and Examples
The Simple Present tense is the most basic and common grammar point in the IELTS exam. This lesson will help you learn and remember the knowledge with the present simple tense structure and Examples and how to use it in IELTS exam, let’s find out!
A. Theory of the present simple tense
Definition of simple present tense
Simple Present Tense is used to express an action or event that is frequent, habitual or repeated many times, or an obvious fact or an action taking place in time, at present.
Example: The sun rises in the East and sets in the West.
How to use the present simple?
- The present simple is used to describe an activity or habit that repeats frequently
Example: I usually read the newspaper in the morning.
- The present simple is used to refer to a fact, a self-evident truth
Example: Babies cry; birds fly
How to form present simple sentences with the verb to be?
– He is a teacher.
– They are teachers.
|Negative sentence||I-> am not|
He-She-It ->is not
You-We-They-> are not
– I’m not fat.
– He is not my friend.
|Question||Are ->you-we-they? |
Is ->he-she-it ?
– Are you a lawyer? Yes, I am./ No, I’m not.
How to form present simple sentences with regular verbs?
– She usually goes to bed at 10pm.
– She goes to school.
|Negative sentence||I-You-We-They ->don’t work.|
He-She-It ->does not work.
– She doesn’t work at the company.
– I don’t buy it.
|Question||Do you-we-they work ?|
Does he-she-it work ?
Q: Does he go to work by car?
A: Yes, he does./ No, he doesn’t.
How to change the verb form in the 3rd person singular?
Words ending with the characters “o, s, ch, x, sh, z” when used with 3rd person singular subjects are added “es”.
Example: watch – watches, wash – washes, mix – mixes, miss – misses,,….
- She watches romantic comedies every night.
- My mother washes her motorbike once a year.
- My brother mixes clothes very well.
- He usually misses the train.
Words ending in “y”, if “y” is preceded by a vowel, we keep the y and add “s” and if it is a consonant, change it to “i + es”.
Example: study – studies, copy – copies,
- Ronaldo often flies to Spain to meet his idol.
Other normal verbs add “s” at the end
- He really likes her.
- My stepmom sit behind my aunt.
- She reads me bedtime stories every night.
Signs to recognize the present simple tense in English
The adverb of frequency is the telltale sign of the present simple
- Seldom, rarely
We usually go to the beach.
He always drinks lots of water.
In addition, the following words are also signs for the present simple:
- Every day, every week, every month, every year, every morning.
- Daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, yearly.
We watch TV every afternoon.
I play volleyball weekly.
In particular, pay attention to the following words to recognize the signs of the simple present tense:
- Once/ twice/ three times/ four times….. a day/ week/ month/ year.
She goes to the market three times a month.
They go camping once a week.
Position of adverbs of frequency in the present simple
Words that recognize this simple present tense usually come before the regular verb, after the verb to be and the auxiliary verb (Always, often, usually, sometimes, rarely, rarely, …).
B. How to use present simple in IELTS test
Beginning of Writing task 1 and 2 and Speaking part 1, 2, and 3
- I am a third-year student in Information Technology . (Introduction – Speaking part 1)
- I think students should go to universities rather than vocational training courses. (Introduction – Speaking part 3)
- Well, my most favorite cafe is Starbucks. (Introduction – Speaking part 2 – “Describe a cafe you like to visit”
Describe the truth in Speaking part 1, 2, and 3
- Advertisements are very relaxing and eye-catching. (Truth)
- Justin Bieber is famous all over the world. (Truth)
Above is all the knowledge about the present simple in English, Simply IELTS is sure that you have firmly grasped the theory of what the present simple tense is as well as how to apply them to solve the exercises. Please apply effectively in the IELTS test to achieve the best results. Good luck with your studies and get the score you want.