ielts exam info
International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is a test of English language proficiency. It is jointly managed by the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations, the British Council and IDP Education Australia.
There are two modules of the test that are offered and Candidates may choose either the Academic Module or the General Training Module :
- The Academic Module is intended for those wishing to study in universities and other institutions.
- The General Training Module is intended for those planning to have work experience, or the one who wish to immigrate.
IELTS is accepted by most Australian, British, Canadian, Irish, New Zealand and South African academic institutions, and is also accepted by quite a few academic institutions in the United States, and also by various professional organisations all over the world.
ABOUT THE IELTS TEST
- A variety of accents and writing styles are presented in text materials in order to minimize linguistic bias. The test focuses on "International English", which includes British English, American English and other varieties.
- IELTS tests the ability to speak, read, listen and write in English.
- Two test formats can be chosen from - Academic and General Training.
- Band scores are used for each language sub-skill (Speaking, Listening, Reading and Writing). The Band Scale ranges from 1 ("Non User") to 9 ("Expert User").